Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 5/365: Moms, Especially My Own Mom

I think the one thing I have loved this year is meeting so many moms! My children's choir this year was the first time I had interaction with children while also getting to watch them grow. I don't have any siblings, so it really has been a first time experience for me. Meeting the parents of my students and seeing just how hard they work at being a parent has been great.

I don't think I ever even began to realize just how much work it is to be a parent until this last year. I look at my life and can't even begin to list all the sacrifices my mom made to get me to where I am. How much she continues to sacrifice for me. Even when she has nothing, she gives selflessly to give me something.

This weekend I got to spend with my mom here in Charlottesville, and it's been a fun time. We've watched movies and eaten in various restaurants around the area. It's been nice just having her here.

This weekend I also found out just how many new moms are surrounding me. There are so many that I can't even count the number of babies being born this year by friends from throughout my life. It's amazing to me and I am so excited for some of my closest friends to have (or who have just had their babies). It's awesome to see their lives enter this entirely new journey of parenthood and to move forward in their vocations.

The weekend I spent with Maya, my cousin was a fun one, and one of the first times I had ever held a baby. Annabelle's Baptism in March was beautiful, and it was one of the first times I had ever seen an infant get Baptized. It's such a joyous time in everyone's life for the whole family and the Godparents. What a lucky and honorable place it is to be a Godparent.

Today at Mass, I couldn't take my eyes off of a mother with her tiny newborn. The way she cared for him was precious. She held him as if he were the greatest gift ever given to her. She rocked him throughout the Mass and he never cried once. He was just alert and awake, staring at her, as she stared back with tremendous love.

I can't even begin to think about how Mary must have felt holding her newborn infant Jesus.

And so today, I'm thankful for all the mothers in my life, especially my own. Continue to be the saints that you are :)

No comments:

Post a Comment