Thursday, September 15, 2011

18/365: Unplanned Adventures

Today was one of the craziest fun days of my life. I have been out of my apartment (in dress clothes) for 20 hours. It was a blur and a whirlwind.

It's always the days that you think are going to be ordinary, that turn out to be extraordinary.

I got up this morning and got ready for Mass. I was on for announcements this weekend and was extremely nervous. There were even two special announcements from separate speakers that I had to worry about on the top of my nerves. All went well and I thankfully did not faint, as has happened in the past when I public speak/perform solo.

And so afterwards, I was mingling on the patio, when by random chance I was offered an expensive Cardinal's ticket for a game that began 20 minutes later. I ended up going with Mark (an intern) and Jésus (a past intern and now resident at the CSC) and we pretty much died of laughter the entire time. It was good genuine fun with two great gentleman. The crowd was fun and I just LOVED my first major league game. I danced, cheered, booed, and even had some stadium food. It was fantastic.

After arriving back at the CSC I got to take the Church van to Six Flags to pick up two students who wanted to come home early from Wash U's Freshman Day at the Park so they could go to Freshman Welcome Night at the CSC and then to 9pm Mass. I really got to enjoy the company of two girls, one of which just came back from a pilgrimage to Medjugorje in Bosnia. She also talked about her Steubenville experience over the years. We talked about my experience in RCIA through the ride. It was really cool, because she was so excited about being a part of the CSC.

We got to Welcome Night and all was going smoothly. I was put on the spot all of a sudden to speak publicly about the CSC in front of a crowd, which scared me A LOT. As soon as I was done, I went upstairs to get ready to join the musicians (including a new violinist Katie, a freshman). As soon as I got to the lobby, the entire block's power went out. The CSC was dark about 15 minutes before Mass started. It was a chaotic mess because there were tours going on, and people coming in for Mass with no light, and a completely dark chapel. Somehow, the staff and students pulled off cooling the place down, setting up candles, and setting up for Mass just in the right amount of time.

After that Mass, which was extraordinarily beautiful because it seemed like everyone's heart was really there,I mingled with some students and took some freshman back to the South 40. I came back to see if any help was needed and ended up on an adventure...

Side note: Ever since the How I Met Your Mother Episode, "Nothing Good Happens After 2am," as well as my own personal experiences, I have decided that really - nothing good happens after 2am.

I don't know whether I was proven right or wrong. I had a great time. It started out with - "Hey we're going to Royale for drinks for so-and-so's birthday" turned into let's get more drinks at a different bar and then finally turned into drinks in East St. Louis and me walking into my apartment at sunrise.

Since most of you reading this are not from the area, East St. Louis is so bad, it's actually not in MO, it's in IL across the border.

I won't discuss the details, because the night was like Vegas, but I do have to say that my fellow intern, Mark, can bust a move and I haven't had that much fun in a long time.

All in all, I'm thankful for unplanned adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment